PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Travel Tip Tuesday - July 6th, 2010

Today I thought I'd do something a little different. Not necessarily a tip, but something Fun! 

I have to say I absolutely love how the English refer to a vacation as a "Holiday".  It sounds so much nicer and festive than just a vacation, vacay, road trip...etc.  So here is a list of how other languages translate the word "Vacation".

What do you call your vacation? Have any special lingo for it?

Language   "Vacation"                      Language        "Vacation"

Arabic         عطلة                               Greek             Διακοπές
Bulgarian     Ваканция                       Polish             Wakacje
Chinese       度假                               Romanian      Vacanta  
Czech         Dovolená                         Russian          Отдых
Danish        Ferie                               Spanish          Vacaciones
Dutch         Vakantie                          Swedish         Semester
Estonian     Puhkus                            Thai               วันหยุดพักผ่อน
Finnish        Loma                              Turkish          Tatil
French        Vacances
German      Urlaub

PS - You can imagine how my Spellcheck lit up on this post!

ShareThis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I am impressed your computer even knew what to do with some of those languages (Thai, for example...). I'm not sure mine would even understand it in order to let me paste it into my post!

I like the idea of a "holiday". vacation works for me, too, though. anything different from the same ol' stuff. *grin*

Leah

Letherton said...

LOL

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

Post a Comment